I am proud to report that I have hiked one hundred times!
The experience of this project was more than I could ever have fathomed. So much about how I see myself and the world has changed over the course of 240 days. For one, my appreciation for the outdoors has grown considerably. Hiking and the outdoors has been ingrained into who I am and it has helped to define the goals I have for the future. (More on that later).
But let me back up. In fact, let me back up quite a bit. I might have completed the hiking aspect of this project, but the project is far from complete. As of now, I have only blogged about 36 hikes. The last hike I posted was done way back on July 22nd! That means I have 63 hikes to tell you about, and I must say, I am really excited to share with you my outdoor experiences. I have yet to tell you about my hikes in Utah, where I did one of the most dangerous hikes in America, according to Backpacker Magazine. I have yet to tell you about my search for the largest Joshua Tree in the world, or a long-forgotten aspen grove deep in the San Bernardino Mountains. Or the amazing hikes I did in Chile, where I climbed an snow-covered active volcano, or Bolivia, where I explored the ancient ruins of a civilization that disappeared long ago. Yes, the destination has been reached, but it is the journey that has to be told.
So, for those of you who like graphs and numbers, here’s the details of all 100 hikes.
I hiked about 417.4 miles to get me to 100 hikes. Here’s a breakdown of my mileage. (Click on a bar to find out more info):
Here’s some numbers to ponder:
- Number of hikes completed: 100
- Number of days into project: 239
- Number of miles hiked: 417.4 miles
- Longest hike: 15.9 miles (Hike #48 – San Gorgonio Mountain)
- Hardest hike: Hike #21 (Telescope Peak, Death Valley)
- Furthest hike from home: Hike #86 (Villarrica, Chile – 5,864 miles from Arcadia, CA)
If you hike with me, you become a prestigious respected member of the “100 Hikes Club.” Quite a few people joined me for my final hikes – 20 on the last one alone!
- Number of members: 77 (and three dogs)
- Top 6 ranking members:
- Dad (9 hikes: #30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 & 38)
- Melanie (8 hikes: #5, 13, 26, 29, 40, 74, 99 & 100)
- Mom (7 hikes: #30, 31, 33, 34, 36, 37 & 38)
Three-way tie for 4th:
- Samantha (5 hikes: #18, 21, 39, 42 & 100)
- Bob (5 hikes: #28, 72, 73, 75, & 100)
- Chris (5 hikes: #6, 21, 42, 44 & 63)
I’d like to thank the entire 100 Hikes Club for all of their support, in alphabetical order: Aaron & his Mom, Alma, Ari, Art, Becquie, Brooklyn, Cairo, Casey, Dea, Domenic, Elizabeth, Gregory, Emily, Hernan, Hobie, Jamie, Josh, Kasey, Kristen & her dog Heidi, Leo, Leonar, Lori, Lynda & her dog Volt, Mark, MaryEllen, Max The Wonder Dog, Michael G., Michael W., Mike, The Mystery Hiker, Nikki, Peter, Sharon, Shawn, Shawnté, Siena, Steve & Tony. Thank you all for getting out on the trail with me!